The Windows Domain Controller on the server runs the Windows 2012 R2 Server Core operating system.
Server Core is used as it substantially improves the performance and security of the domain controller. Some of the other advantages of Server Core are as follows:
- Smaller attack surface for malware
- Fewer Windows Updates, and therefore faster and more efficient keep current
- Smaller image backups use less WAN bandwidth for transmission to cloud storage and offer faster restoration times
- Reduced use of resources on the server itself
- Microsoft best practice is to not run the management tools directly on a domain controller.
You can do all of the standard Windows and Active Directory domain administration tasks using the standard Windows Active Directory tools from the ZMANAGE virtual machine.
The Windows Management Virtual Machine is called ZMANAGE-00, and has an IP address with a last octet of .160. You can find the IP address from the Commissioning Console.
There is a Microsoft article which explains the benefits of Server Core here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd184076.aspx